filmov
tv
Liscard

Показать описание
#Towns_and_villages_in_the_Metropolitan_Borough_of_Wirral
#Buildings_and_structures_in_the_Metropolitan_Borough_of_Wirral
#Wallasey
Liscard is an area of the town of Wallasey, in the Metropolitan Borough of Wirral, Merseyside, England.
The most centrally located of Wallasey's townships, it is the main shopping area of the town, with many shops located in the Cherry Tree Shopping Centre.
At the 2001 census the population of Liscard local government ward was recorded at 14,301, increasing to 15,574 at the 2011 census.
The first mention of the settlement was circa 1260 as Lisnekarke.
The name is from Welsh Llys carreg, with the name meaning "hall at the rock" or "...cliff".
In the past the name has been spelt as Liscak (1260), Lisecair (c.1277), Lysenker (1295) and Lyscart (1417).
During the nineteenth century Liscard was a township within Wallasey parish of the Wirral Hundred.
It became a civil parish in 1866, ultimately being absorbed into the nascent County Borough of Wallasey in 1912.
The population was recorded as 211 in 1801, 4,100 in 1851 and 28,661 in 1901.
Liscard Hall (now demolished) Liscard Hall was built in 1835 by a Liverpool merchant, Sir John Tobin.
Its grounds later became Central Park.
A "model farm" was also developed nearby by the Tobin family.
The former Grade II listed mansion later became an art college within Central Park.
It was damaged by a suspicious fire on 7 July 2008 after being left empty and inadequately secured by Wirral Council and was subsequently demolished.
The site has since been grassed over.
Gateway to the former Battery compound Liscard Battery was built in 1858 to help protect shipping on the River Mersey and defend the port of Liverpool.
It was equipped with seven 10-inch guns.
Set back from the river and hidden by new building, it was known as "the snake in the grass" to local inhabitants.
The battery was obsolete by 1912, and sold on and houses...